Nationals of the Syrian Arab Republic, the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Republic of Armenia need to apply in person to a TRNC Embassy, Representative Office or Consulate General abroad to obtain a visa prior to their travel to the TRNC.
Nationals of other countries other than those listed above can be issued a visa by the Immigration Officer at the designated ports and border crossings. The terms of entry to the country for all foreigners can be seen below.
Obtaining a visa from the TRNC missions abroad do not guarantee entry to the country. It is within the discretion of the Immigration Officer at the designated ports and border crossings to grant permission to enter the country.
Recommendations for visa applicants:
It is recommended to make visa applications at least 1 month in advance of the intended travel date. Visa applications will be processed within maximum 3 working days. It is recommended to contact the nearest TRNC mission abroad to get an appointment before applying for a visa. Click here for the visa application form.
Foreigners visiting the TRNC may be granted a visa up to 90 days, depending on its type, at the designated ports and border crossings, provided that they fulfil the conditions stipulated in the Aliens and Immigration Law and they are not deemed unfit to enter the country.
The length of stay granted at the designated ports and border crossings of the TRNC cannot exceed 90 days within a period of 180 days. All foreigners who wish to stay in the TRNC for more than 90 days, are required to obtain a residence permit.
Entry to and departure from the TRNC is possible through designated ports and border crossings with a valid passport or travel document.
Type and duration of the visa issued to the foreigners is stamped on the travel document by the Immigration Officers. Foreigners’ stay in the country cannot exceed the date stamped on their travel documents and they cannot use the visa for reasons other than its original purpose. For example, working with tourist or student visa is considered as visa violation.
Documents required from citizens of the Republic of Turkey for traveling to TRNC:
- A valid Passport or Identity Card.
Documents required from citizens of the European Union and Schengen Area Countries for travelling to the TRNC:
- A valid Passport or National Identity Card.
Documents required from citizens of other countries for travelling to the TRNC:
- A valid Passport.
Validity of Travel Documents:
- Citizens of countries which do not have an Embassy, Consulate General, Consulate or Representative Office in the TRNC and citizens of the countries that are not members of the EU must have a passport or travel document valid for at least 6 months to be able to enter the TRNC.
- Citizens of countries that have an Embassy, Consulate General, Consulate or Representative Office in the TRNC and citizens of the EU countries must have a passport or travel document valid for at least 2 months to be able to enter TRNC.
Procedures for entry of foreigners to the TRNC:
Foreigners may be required to provide the following documents and information to the Immigration Officer at the port of entry:
- Proof of sufficient financial means to stay in the country and return home country
- Proof of accommodation in the country (hotel payment receipt, or name and address of the invitee)
- Foreigners must accurately and convincingly declare purpose of visit
- If travelling for internship, course or student exchange program, a formal letter from the inviting institution
- If traveling for higher education, an official acceptance letter from the university
- If visiting family, a letter of invitation which provides name, address, phone number and other contact information
- If traveling on a business trip, an official letter of invitation from a company in the TRNC
- If travelling for touristic purpose, a reservation or a rental document for the stays from 30 to 90 days.
Foreigners crossing to the TRNC from Southern Cyprus are also required to present the above mentioned documents/information.
VISA TYPES AND PERIODS OF STAY
- TOURIST VISA
Those who come to the country for touristic visits and will stay at a hotel or other accommodation facility and those who have rented an accommodation for this purpose, can be issued a visa for a maximum of 30 days. If they can submit documents showing that a prior payment has been made for accommodation, a visa up to 90 days may be granted.
A visa up to 60 days can be issued to those who arrive in the country for the purpose of family visit and stay at the inviting family member’s house. A visa up to 90 days may be issued to those who come for official visits, business meetings, conferences, seminars, meetings, festivals, fairs, exhibitions, sporting events, cultural and artistic events, health tourism and similar purposes.
- INTERNSHIP, COURSE, EXCHANGE PROGRAM, IN-SERVICE TRAINING VISA
Foreigners who wish to enter the country for internships, courses, student exchange programs and in-service trainings can be issued a visa for up to 90 days provided that they can submit formal acceptance letters.
- WORK PERMIT VISA
It is granted for a period of 30 days to foreigners who have come to the country with a preliminary permit in accordance with the Law on Work Permits of Foreigners. Citizens of the countries who do not have an Embassy, Consulate General, Consulate or other Representative Office in the TRNC are required to have a passport valid for at least two years to be able to apply for a work permit visa.
- BUSINESS ESTABLISHMENT VISA
Foreigners who come to the country for the purpose of starting a business can be issued a visa for a period of 30 days provided that they have the fund to start a business.
- RESIDENCE PERMIT VISA
The following types of visas may be issued to foreigners who will enter the country in order to apply for one of the residence permit types.
- Visa for Family Residence Permit: Foreigners who will apply for a family residence permit can be given a visa up to 90 days.
- Visa Due to Ownership of Immovable Property: A visa can be issued up to 90 days for those who have a title deed document indicating that they own an immovable property in the country.
- Visa for Student Residence Permit Application: Foreigners who come to the country to obtain a student residence permit may be granted a 60 day visa upon submission of a formal student registration or pre-registration letter.
- Visa for Judicial and Administrative purposes: Those who come to the country upon request or decision of judicial or administrative authorities can be granted a visa for the term of their duty.
- Visa for Scientific Research: Those who come to the country for scientific research purposes can be granted a visa for the duration of the research.
- Visa for Graduates of the TRNC Universities: Graduates of 2-year higher education programs or those have studied at least 3 years in any of the 4-year higher education programs in the TRNC can be granted a visa valid for 30 days.